Lightbulb Unanswered: SQL Server Architecture

I am replacing the corporate SQL Server at work. The new server will have 6 striped disks of 160G with about 4G of RAM. The current SQL Server currently has two instances which run web applications and a small database warehouse about 6G. Analysis Services is also installed.

Due to a couple of new apps being added to the server and the SQL Server 2000 enterprise license we acquired, i was thinking of adding 2 more instances so that the applications can be independently managed in terms of restarting the SQL Server. I also would like to permanently fix the memory settings on each instance to give more resources to more important applications. The log and data files would also be spilt onto 2 separate hard disks. i understand there are implications on performance such as CPU etc. Is it normally advisable to have more than 1 or 2 instances ? Most of the applications are not very CPU intensive. What other implications or performance issues would l have ?
    Last edited by jcwc888; 06-02-04 at 22:50. Reason: adding more

Most of the applications are not very CPU intensive. What other implications or performance issues would l have ?

I don't know that you need multiple instances for what you've described. I would have seperate databases for the production and reporting environments. If possible, I would seperate the reporting onto another server. As it is, you would be better off to have one instance, max out your RAM, and see how that performs.

You can always add more instances later if you don't like this. I think you'd be surprised and happy though.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

I understand that it should be all on one instance. Sometimes i need to restart the SQL Server Service and i do not want this to effect the other applications. The corporate strategy that the infrastructure group wrote for this project was to consolidate all the databases on a single server.

there are also about 140 DTS packages for 3 applications. With 3 instances, i can easily divide it for easier management.
    Last edited by jcwc888; 06-02-04 at 23:24.

Ok. Then have two instances at the most. Would that suffice? I'm curious though, why do you have to restart the SQL Server Service? We go months without doing this.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

cut a long story short -- there is a GIS app that the datawarehouse loads the data from. Sometimes, the load will be run during the day to keep the reporting up to date. The GIS app has a couple of licenses with amounts to 80K and therefore if the license is locked the datawarehouse hangs for a considerable period of time. Until management gets new licenses, the SQL Server service is the only quickest method to get the server back into action. I don't suspect this to be daily occurence but if all the major category apps are on one instance, it can get quick risky.