Unanswered: connect to an oracle 8.1.7 db

hello everybody,

I'm trying to connect to an oracle 8.1.7 database with asp from the IIS.
    the oracle database is on another server... so my question. do I need an odbc-driver installed on my pc?

the connection-string:
    strConn = "Provider=MSDASQL;Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};Server=[...];Uid=[...];Pwd=[...];"

Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open strConn

unfortunately I get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Fehler beim SQLAllocHandle-Aufruf für Treiber auf SQL_HANDLE_ENV

can somebody help me please?

Virginia, USA
    I believe IIS can only connect to Oracle over ODBC, not using native Oracle TNS calls. I recommend you install the ODBC drivers that are included on the Oracle CD-ROM, and not use the ones that come with Windows. If I remember correctly, the ones from Oracle are actually made by Merrant Corporation and licensed by Oracle for distribution with the database. These ODBC drivers are designed to the Oracle TNS / Oracle Net files to provide a more natural connection to the database than other ODBC drivers can provide. The drawback is a copy of Oracle Client gets installed with the ODBC drivers, requiring more disk space.

The latest ODBC drivers are available from
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup

Greenville, SC (USA)
    Since you are using Oracle 8.1.7, don't use the ODBC drivers that come off the CD ... You will need to download or above Oracle ODBC drivers. There were bugs with the drivers under Get these from Metalink