Thread: Mystery DB

Unanswered: Mystery DB

We’re using a proprietary application which has a database backend. The application has very poor search and edit capabilities, so we’d like to modify the database files with another application. The database files are kept in a “Data” subdirectory of the application and the files have the following extensions: CDX, DBF, FPT and there’s one CMI. How can I determine which database engine they are using?

Sounds like this is using Foxpro judging by the .cdx & .fpt extensions, but I wouldn't like to guess at which version.

I agree with Pickhacker, they sound like FoxPro files. Except for the .CMI file, which is most likely some sort of work file or help file.
    But on that note, unlike Excel databases, the user interface of FoxPro applications is not contained in the database. Those files (.dbf, .cdx, .fpt) are 'free' tables. They contain only the data driven by the application.
    In order to improve the search or edit capabilities, you would need to get the interface modified by the original developer, see if you could work out a deal for the source code to modify it in-house, or purchase Visual FoxPro and design your own interface using your original data.
    FoxPro tables are backward compatible, so if you bought the newest version of VFP, you can still use tables created with the earliest versions of FoxPro, dBaseIII, and so on.
    DSummZZZ

Even more Fox stuff at
    www.davesummers.net/foxprolinks.htm