Unanswered: Query Analyser without SQL Server name

Hi,

I am studying SQL Server by myself (I am a Sybase DBA) and I have a little problem with the Query Analyser.

I actually have 2 server in my PC (XP) and I can see them via SQL Server Enterprise Manager, I also can open Query Analyser for these two server via Enterprise Manager.

When I try to launch SQL Query Analyser from the start menu, I can't see any of my two server and can't chose a connection.

Do I need to write some parameter somewhere?

It's not a big problem as I can work via Enterprise Manager but I just want to know.

Thank you for your response.

Eric

On the one that I have set up, there is a drop down list box with the available databases. If you can't get to that, on the file menu, click on Connect to make a server connection.

Cathy
    Cathy

Already tried....

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for your response but unfortunatley I have already tried to make a connection via the file menu.... My window 'Connect to SQL Server' opened but I can't see my two servers. When I try to browse, the window 'Active servers' is empty.....I can't see my servers directly by SQL Query Analyser but only via SQL Server Enterprise => Tools => SQL Query Analyser...

What happens if you type the command use dbname? (Execute it with the F5 key).

Cathy
    Cathy

????

I don't understand your question. I can't use the command use dbname, as I am not connected into one of my servers.

My problem is not about the databases but only that I can't connect any server using SQL Query Analyzer from the Window Start Menu but only by using the Tools menu in SQL Server Enterprise Manager.

Eric

Just manually type in the name of the servers in Query Analyzer. Will it let you connect that way?
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Yes....

Ok, I tried to enter the two server names into the window "Connect to SQL Server".... It's work and now I can see my two servers in the drop-down list each time I try to make a connection.
    I think that is a little bug as we need to enter once the two server name before we can see them.....

Thank you for your help...

Eric