Thread: Please Help!!!

Unanswered: Please Help!!!

Hello,
    I am using SQL 2000 on a Windows 2000 with SP4. I ran Microsoft's Security Analyzer and it told me to install SQL 2000 SP3a. Everything was fine and dandy until in installed SQL 2000 SP3a. Now my site won't come up and i get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
    [DBNMPNTW]Access denied.

/inc/opendb.asp, line 11

I'm not SQL inclined, so please help!!! If you want to see the error for yourself, please go to www.MediaVixens.com and try to enter the site.

Thanks,
    Wilson

Assumeing You are using an ODBC driver.

We sometimes have the same error. It is usally do to the HostName not being specified in the path...

[server]:c:\data\database.gdb

Again this is using Interbase so it could be something different depending on what database system you are using.

The other times we run into this problem is when the Server Service is down or the IUSR_[server] not having rights to the inetpub\wwwroot directory. Again this is assuming you are using MS-IIS and not Apachy or some other web server.

Not sure if this helps but would need more information to be able to help.

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. The weird thing is that everything was working until i applied SP3a for SQL. I can't image it would be a permissions issue unless sp3a does that by default. I am using IIS5. Is there anything else you can think of? What other info do you need?

Thanks again,
    Wilson

Provided Answers: 54
    SQL sp3a tightens up a number of security issues, to prevent things like the Blaster worm among other things. You can definitely run into cases where people wrote code that ignored the rules but worked prior to sp3a, but fails once sp3a has been applied to the server.

-PatP