Question Unanswered: multiple instances of same query in multiuser db?

When coding in vbe, I am sometimes tempted to only reference an existing query by name, instead of including the SQL in the sub/function. (so far I have always included the code)

In a multiuser db, running union queries and update queries etc. from perhaps many workstations/users at the same time, is it "safe" to refer by name? Could using the same query at the same time for two different workstations/users cause trouble that would be avoided if not calling a stored query from the sub/function but rather including the code?

About the situation:
    It is not the case that the same update will take place, but I use several queries as subqueries for misc. others, so it is really the situation where one user runs an update query that uses the same subquery as another user - but the latter uses it either directly/behind a form or as a part of a select query, not an update query. Could be that the latter user is running a different update query (on other tables), and only using the subquery as a lookup.

So, are there situations where a conflict could cause (parts of?) an update query to fail, if referencing the query rather than including the code in the sub/function? What is "safest"?

Other aspects I should take into account?

Grateful for any advice/comments.

D.

Dan,

I don't have much experience in what you said, but can I suggest you use a client/server system (single mdb on server holds all tables with changing data, each computer has an mdb/mde that holds all forms, queries and reports with tables linked). That way, each user would have a seperate copy of the queries and forms on their computer avoiding any of the conflicts you suggested. Additionally, make the queries snapshots where possible to avoid access locking records unnecessarily.

Hope this helps,
    Stephen.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by sgoldsmith
    single mdb on server holds all tables with changing data, each computer has an mdb/mde
    that is exactly what I have, and partly why I have it so...
    Don't know what the brain was doing when this question was posted.
    Sorry about taking your time completely unnecessarily.

D.