Thread: Unknown DB type

Unanswered: Unknown DB type

I have a DB that runs .idx and .dat files. It was made about 20 years ago, and the front end system is quite impressive. I need to have a ODBC connection to this. I have heard that it might be a UDB database, but I don't have a ODBC driver for that. Any one else think they might know of a idx or dat file database or have a program that could identify the database type?

Dennis

Bumping up

Might be a dBASE format...
    David Cornelius
    http://CorneliusConcepts.com

Provided Answers: 54
    A database app written 20 years ago that uses IDX and DAT files is most probably Paradox written by Ansa (before it was acquired by Borland). You MIGHT be able to read it using the Paradox drivers that ship with Windoze.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    A database app written 20 years ago that uses IDX and DAT files is most probably Paradox written by Ansa (before it was acquired by Borland). You MIGHT be able to read it using the Paradox drivers that ship with Windoze.
    Did they change their filename extension when they moved to Windows? I have Paradox files on my system that have .DB extention.
    David Cornelius
    http://CorneliusConcepts.com

Provided Answers: 54
    2.0 was ambi-extension. It worked with either one gleefully. I think that 3.0 introduced the .DB extension with a vengence.

Keep in mind that we are going back just a ways...

-PatP