Thread: views

Unanswered: views

I have created a database connected to a GUI using VB 6.0. When editing the views from the front end, do the tables also get updated

Thanks

I guess you mean editing the data through the VIEW

Yes if it's an updateable view...

But you should change your approach...

You should grab the data, save it to an array, close the rs..

then insert update or delete as desired..

keep your transaction as short as possible...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by asbirpam
    I have created a database connected to a GUI using VB 6.0. When editing the views from the front end, do the tables also get updated

Thanks

You can update the info through the view but you have to make sure there is enough key information for the update.

Please Help

I am using VB to create my front end.

I have created four forms, which recieve data from the user, each form is directly linked to an individual table in the sql server 2000 db. (I am creating a system that creates car contracts- 1st form recieveces customer details, next form recieves car details etc. The last form confirms the contract has been successful.) The way I had it before is that the each table is updated as the user completes each form. However, I later realised this is not a sufficcient way since the user may decide to abort the transaction half way through filling the pages. Therefore, some table will be updated (with information that is no longer needed) while some will not have been changed. The data should only be transferred to the database on the last confirming form.

What I have done now is used a disconnected recordset which saves the data in the client side, and my plan was to transfer the information into the database after all forms had been completed. Problem is, how do I input that data into seperate tables. I have created a view that links all the tables together. Can I just update the view? How do I know if it is a updatable view?

Another way I thought may work is by creating a recordset for each form (ie a recordset for each individual table in the db) and then transferring the data to the db at the last form by having a batchUpdate for each table. Is that possible?

PLEASE HELP