Unanswered: Collating sequence in multi-lingual data

Dear All,

How is sorting done in multi-lingual data, does it use code-set sorting for all languages. What does the set collation statement do. Please advice.

Best Regards,

Lloyd

Smile re: collating sequence in multi-lingual data

I use portuguese language and proceed the following way:

1. set the DB_LOCALE, SERVER_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE environment variables to "pt_br.8859-1" (without the quotes);

2. Create the database;

3. Use nchar or nvarchar data types in the columns I want to sort, instead of char and varchar.

This works for portuguese. Look in the $INFORMIXDIR/gls directory what code corresponds to your language. You can check if your database was created in your language using the following SQL command in sysmaster database:

select * from sysdbslocale;

It will give you a list of all your databases in the instance and the respective language.

I hope it will help you.

Fernanda.

Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for your feedback. I have set my DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE to en_us.utf8 format. I have not set the SERVER_LOCALE though, is it necessary. Also i have used char & varchar datatype. You have used nchar & nvarchar. How does sorting takes place, does is sort by the code-set or language data.

Best Regards,

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for your feedback. I have set my DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE to en_us.utf8 format. I have not set the SERVER_LOCALE though, is it necessary. Also i have used char & varchar datatype. You have used nchar & nvarchar. How does sorting takes place, does is sort by the code-set or language data.

Best Regards,

Lloyd
    If you do not change your char and varchar datatype to nchar and nvarchar, then sorting will happen based on code set, otherwise sorting will happen based on language data.