Question Unanswered: Moving data from OS/390 to DB2 UDB

What is the best or easiest way to move / copy data from a db2 database for OS/390 version (7.2) to a db2 database on UDB version (8) on Linux?

I have a few databases that have to be moved off the mainframe.

Thanks for any hellp.
    Last edited by winterb; 06-09-04 at 15:10.

I would connect to the mainframe using DB2 Connect and EXPORT the data. Then use IMPORT or LOAD to get the data into Linux DB2 ..

The other option is to use federation ...
    INSERT INTO ... SELECT * FROM ...

This may fill up the transaction logs ... If you are going to do just once, you can use 'Not logged intially' with the 'INSERT INTO' option ...

For larger tables, federation may throw memory related erros ..

Using db2look, you can get the CREATE TABLE statements ... You may have to customize it a bit to suit LUW version of DB2.

If this is a one time process, then you do not need to worry about licensing DB2 Connect ... If you are using ESE, you are automatically licensed for five user connections to the mainframe ... Otherwise, you will have to license ..

I have not tried V8 client connecting to V7 OS/390 server, but I do not expect any major limitations, though I suggest you to check the manuals ..

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 06-09-04 at 16:18.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

by using SQL generate data files in db2 udb format , ftp those files to db udb server , lod it by using load utility

let me know , if you need more info

lekharaju ennam

I like using the export /import but I"m having a problem with blob columns. when I do the export I get the following message

"SQL3132W The character data in column "REPORT_PDF" will be truncated to size
    "32700".

I run into this same limitation on the mainframe using unload. I'm limited to the file length of 32700. I don't kow why but it seems to be doing the same thing on the export to the client.

Have you seen this before?, am I just doing something worng?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks Bob

"QUOTE=sathyaram_s]I would connect to the mainframe using DB2 Connect and EXPORT the data. Then use IMPORT or LOAD to get the data into Linux DB2 ..

The other option is to use federation ...
    INSERT INTO ... SELECT * FROM ...

This may fill up the transaction logs ... If you are going to do just once, you can use 'Not logged intially' with the 'INSERT INTO' option ...

For larger tables, federation may throw memory related erros ..

Using db2look, you can get the CREATE TABLE statements ... You may have to customize it a bit to suit LUW version of DB2.

If this is a one time process, then you do not need to worry about licensing DB2 Connect ... If you are using ESE, you are automatically licensed for five user connections to the mainframe ... Otherwise, you will have to license ..

I have not tried V8 client connecting to V7 OS/390 server, but I do not expect any major limitations, though I suggest you to check the manuals ..

Cheers
    Sathyaram[/QUOTE]

Can you post the EXPORT command you use

Cheers
    sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Here's the command I used.

db2 "export to tpp018.ixf of ixf lobs to /home/db2inst1/unldir/blobs lobfile blobfile messages /home/db2inst1/expmesg.msg select * from ppguru.tpp018"

Thanks for you help.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    Can you post the EXPORT command you use

Cheers
    sathyaram

I found the problem. I had left out the modified by lobsinfile. Oops...

Thanks for all you help
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by winterb
    Here's the command I used.

db2 "export to tpp018.ixf of ixf lobs to /home/db2inst1/unldir/blobs lobfile blobfile messages /home/db2inst1/expmesg.msg select * from ppguru.tpp018"

Thanks for you help.
    Bob.