Unanswered: UPDATE - pls help with Update syntax !!!

Hi,
    I have to go into work tomorrow knowing how to update in Access - so I don't have time to figure it out for myself by trial and error and I would really appreciate some help urgently.

Is this the correct syntax ?
    UPDATE table_1
    SET field_1 = (SELECT field_2
    FROM table_2
    WHERE table_1.join_field_1 = table_2.join_field_2)

I will be very grateful to anyone who has time to respond before I wake up in the morning !!!

Thanks very much.

B.Dimple
    Junior DBA

I'd be inclined to put another set of () around the where statement ie where(.....).

Also, you might consider making a dummy select query and converting it to an update query via the buttons in access, and then viewing the SQL.

Cheers

sorry. Ignore the first part of my earlier response. On re-reading your current syntax it looks to me that you are attempting to update field1 in table1 to the value in field2 table2, but you are attempting a join by which the selct process will only find those records where field1 table1 already matches field2 table2. Could you explain a little more as to what you are attempting to achieve?

cheers

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

You are right, that I got my rough SQL wrong - that's what happens when you try to rush things at midnight !

I found a workaround so I managed to sidestep the problem.

But thanks again for you time.

B.Dimple.