Question Unanswered: MSDE Configuration Help

Hi, folks.

I need help with a new install of MSDE, which I'm hoping to use with learning ASP.NET.

I downloaded and installed the latest MSDE. The Service Manager is now running...and after a few hours of poking around I figured out my server name by looking in the log files (\\computername\NETSDK). LOL So, it's running and the three services are available, with SQL Server as the default.

Now, I am having problems launching OSQL and I think it has something to do with the username. I do recall part of the install process that I was asked to supply a password. I am using that password in this situation. I tried the following, where "administrator" is the local workstation's administrator account. For kicks, I tried "sa" as a username. No luck. Here's the output:

D:\Temp>osql -U administrator
    Password:
    [Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    [Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

D:\Temp>osql -U sa
    Password:
    [Shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    [Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

D:\Temp>

Where do I go from here so I can start playing with MSDE? Also, I find it odd that there is no MS SQL Server in my Program Groups (XP). Is there no GUI for administering the database(es)?

TIA,

Bob

Provided Answers: 54
    You'll need to specify the server and instance name for OSQL, something like:
    Code:
    OSQL -Scomputername\NETSDK -Usa
    MSDE doesn't provide any GUI interface, since it is intended to be mostly a "run time engine" for custom applications.

For around $50 US you can get the MS-SQL Developer Edition, which has GUI tools and small mountains of documentation. I'd highly recommend it for your circumstances.

-PatP

Question

Pat,

This worked:

osql -S computername\netsdk -E

...and I was prompted with: 1> ...as if I had entered a partial SQL statement, so I tried the following:

D:\Temp>osql -S computername\netsdk -E
    1> select * from master.dbo.SysDatabases;
    2> quit

D:\Temp>

Can you possibly point me to tutorial from this point, as my SQL syntax obviously didn't return anything, so I need some reference material to further learn from.

Thanks,

Bob

The semi-colon isn't needed in Transact-SQL, in fact it ought to cause a syntax error (but curiously it didn't when I just tried it).

OSQL.EXE is a pretty "bare bones" tool that accumulates input from the user (the keyboard in this case), which it sends to the server when it finds an "end of batch" marker in the text. The default marker is the word GO by itself on a line. Since you gave OSQL a quit command before a GO, the command was never sent to the SQL Server (aka MSDE).

More material isn't hard to find in a bookstore, but it is tough to find beginning level stuff on the web (then again, I don't look for it often, so I could be out of date on this). I'd recommend Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server in 21 days as a good starting book. Richard Waymire is a friend of mine, a great teacher, and may well know more about SQL Server 2000 than anyone else on earth (and no, I don't make any money from his book!).

-PatP

Thumbs up MSDE Configuration Help Reply to Thread

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try googling for tutorials. Man, I hate being a newbie at something. LOL I'll also consider the book. I'm an avid fan of the Teach Yourself series and am currently working through ASP.NET and Fedora Core. I'm fiddling with the latter at home.

Thanks again,

Bob

P.S. I hope that Richard buys you the occasional beer if he's not paying you for endorsements. ;-)

We're all newbies at least once, but if at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

On a more serious note, I'd strongly recommend ponying up the $50 for the Developer Edition. It gets you LOTS of toys like SQL Enterprise Mangler, Query Analyzer, BOL (SQL Books Online), and a gazillion other things to make the learning process much less painful.

BTW, be sure to pick up SQL sp3a. It "hardens" your SQL Server to make it much more resistant to "digital pests" than the RTM package. I consider it a "must have" for any MSDE/SQL Server system.

-PatP

Great advice, Pat. Look for a new post from me back at the top of the forum in a few moments.

THANKS! :-)