Thread: Date format

Angry Unanswered: Date format

Hello,

I am working with an existing database and have a table with a field called "Year". However, the data in it is not in date format, it's just text.

The year data is entered in the format of "1997/98" and "1998/99" and so on.

Is there a way of changing the data type to Date/Time and being able to specify a custom date format? I can't be losing the data and some people here are entering actual text into this field by accident (I know don't get me started!)

Thanks,

Rusty

you can only keep one date in date/time field, I don't think you can convert "1997/98" to into one date/time field.
    what you can do:

#1 split it to two different fields and somehow extract old data to new fields.

#2 create an input mask for the field so they couldn't type letters in it. forexample: 0000/00;0;_ as input mask could fix your problem.
    ghozy.

Red face Cursor Position??

Thanks for the help.

I used your suggestion of the input mask and it worked a treat.

However, when they're in the form and the user tabs to this Year field, the cursor right now places at about the 5th character.

Do you know what I need to do to get the cursor to put itself at the beginning character? It's not that the user can't reposition the cursor, it's that I want my code to do it for them.

Thanks,

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty's Way
    Thanks for the help.

However, when they're in the form and the user tabs to this Year field, the cursor right now places at about the 5th character.

Do you know what I need to do to get the cursor to put itself at the beginning character? It's not that the user can't reposition the cursor, it's that I want my code to do it for them.

Thanks,

Rusty
    its weird because I tried it here and cursor put itself at the beginning of the text. I don't know what causes cursor to go to 5th character.
    ghozy.

There is a setting in TOOLS/OPTIONS/KEYBOARD where you can set the "Behavior entering field" to "Go to start of field". Access 2002 has it. I'm not sure about other versions.

Unhappy Cursor Position Revisited

Hi there,

That works for tabbing but the problem is when the user clicks into the field using the mouse - any ideas?

Rusty

PS - I know it's a matter of the user just pressing the Home key but they really are being pedantic about this...

sorry, I don't know how to fix that
    ghozy.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty's Way
    Hi there,

That works for tabbing but the problem is when the user clicks into the field using the mouse - any ideas?

Rusty

PS - I know it's a matter of the user just pressing the Home key but they really are being pedantic about this...
    Tell them they'll need to recode the entire db in order to eliminate their issue. The recode will need to be in a different language all-together, and you will need a good 6 months to learn that language. The field issue should be fixed sometime next year. In the mean time, deal with it.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

ROFL! I should note that strategy in my list.
    ghozy.