Question Unanswered: 2K Developer Edition Install

Hi, folks.

I've just reached the end of my frustration with trying to learn MSDE with no interface (in addition to simultaneously learning ASP.NET), so I'm going to install 2K Developer Edition. However, I'd like to know if it's safe install it on top of MSDE. I'm currently running XP Pro, VS.NET, IIS 5.x, so I'm afraid that if I have uninstall MSDE that I'll break a bunch things that I've painstakingly configured. ;-)

Advice?

TIA,

Bob

Provided Answers: 54
    I'd detach the database(s) you've created, and tuck them away for safekeeping. Once you get the developer edition installed, reattach them (and maybe fix any SQL login/user mappings using sp_change_users_login).

-PatP

MSDE only supports named instance, if I am not mistaken. This means that your new install will also have a named instance. If you want to live with it, - then start double-clicking on setup. Otherwise remove MSDE install completely. I wouldn't keep it even if you're trying to learn it. There's nothing to learn other than the fact that it has the highest number of limitations among all editions.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."