Unanswered: How can I query data in a certain order?

I have a table which has 3 fields: Tool Status Date

In the status field there are 4 types of data Down Umip Umcomp and Up.

I have a query that appends the tables tool and status fields using the [Enter] criteria. The date is using the now() value

The status needs to be entered in a certain order as mentioned above, i need to figure out a way to prevent the user from skipping the order such as going from down to up.

Is there a way to perform this function to possibly give a msg saying the tool must be in umcomp to complete this transaction?

I don't even know if it is possible but it would be a nice feature to have to eleimate human error.

The Bottom of The Barrel
    Provided Answers: 1
    I can't quite wrap my head around what you're trying to do here... could you give an example?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Here is the just of what my database does. I have a room with a set of equipment which I am tracking the availability of. This equipment goes down for preventive maintnenace and sometimes failures.

When a user wants to input a status of a tool an append query is activated which allows them to enter the name of the tool and the desired status of the equipment either Down, Umip, Umcomp and UP.

In order for me to track the uptime of these tools I need each status to be entered successfuly. I consider a full transaction to be Down, Umip, Umcomp and UP for each time a tool goes down. The problem I have is sometimes my crew accidently skips a step.

Example, A tool was put Down for an error, my technician would then place the tool in Umip (maintenance in progress) status. Lets say he fixed the error but instead of placeing the tool in Umcomp (maintenance completed) he when directly to UP because he wasn't paying attention.

I would like to find a way to make sure that no steps are missed, essentially ensuring that each transaction is entered in succession from down - up and possibly notify the user with a error msg.

Sorry for the confusion I can attach my database if it would help.