Unanswered: List of column attributes

Hi,

How do I get a list of the tables, columns in the tables and the column attributes (like datatype, precision, etc..) in a SyBase database? I to be able to use sql commands to get this information like I can in Oracle.

Either you can use select * from syscolumns or the better option would be to see how sp_help pulls the information from different system tables to give the desired output.

sp_helptext sp_help will give you more details.

Thanks. I do know about sp_help, but that wont be any help from my application. The syscolumns works perfect thanks! I assume systables would give me the tables?

Ok I got it. You get the tables from sysobjects and indexes from sysindexes. Thanks!

how bout getting infos bout the primary keys of tables, how do you do that, syscolumns doesn't give that or sysconstraints, em not sure though

Hey dude,

If you are new to Sybase then easiest way is through ddlgen utility.

It is available in your $SYABSE/$SYBASE_ASE/bin. The utility guide has infor on the syntax

ok i'm new and i tried ddlgen, it's useful, but right now i don't need it, i wanted to create a program through PB that will not use any outside programs and that will contain select statements that actually do what 'ddlgen' does, in short, a custom made 'ddlgen' type of utility, and the only problem i am experiencing is how to determine.....primary keys through systables...(sigh)

Hi,

Here's an excerpt from a script for rebuilding clustered indexes to defrag tables. It gets the DRI bits for indexes.

select
    @str_foreignkey_dri = isnull( substring('Y', 1, (1-abs(sign( (i.status2 & 1) - 1 ))) ), 'N'),
    @str_primarykey_dri = isnull( substring('Y', 1, (1-abs(sign( (i.status2 & 2) - 2 ))) ), 'N')
    from
    sysindexes
    where
    id = object_id(@table_name)
    and indid = 1

This will give you the foreign key and primary clauses for tables that use them. If you have defined your primary key indexes using create unique index or create unique clustered index, these bits will not be set. A unique index is not necessarilly the table's primary key, though a primary key constraint would enforce unqiueness.