Unanswered: Sybase ASE 11.9.2 Connection Termination Problem

Hi Folks,

I had an application (with PowerBuilder 6.5 and Sybase 11.9.2) running on WindowsNT(4.0, SP6) smoothly. I have just moved this application into Windows 2000 on HP Proliant ML330 G3 Server. I have also successfully installed the Sybase ASE 11.9.2 on Windows2000 server and the Sybase Open Client 11.1.1 on Windows2000 Professional PC. I have no problem in connecting with the sybase database server using the sybase native driver & run the application. However, I observed that quite often (all the sudden when using any features/functions in the application) the database connection gets disconnected/terminated for some unknown reason and didn't get to see any error messages in the sybase error log neither in the OS error logs! I am getting the following error "ct_close(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Net-Library operation terminated due to disconnect". Since Sybase ASE 11.9.2 is no longer being supported, I couldn't get any useful feedback from Sybase Inc. I have also searched through the internet technical forums but couldn't get any clues or solutions to resolve this issue. As this is an urgent issue for me to fix it asap, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me in this matter. Thanks a lot in advance for your great & timely help!

-Raj-
    (rrprabakar@yahoo.com)

Open client as such does not have any timeout. Check out your tcp keepalive parameter.

Hi willy...Thanks a lot for trying to help me. I have checked the parameters using sp_configure but couldn't locate the tcp keepalive parameter! I have observed the only parameter related to tcp and it is 'tcp no delay'. This 'tcp no delay' was set by default as '0' and I have changed it to '1' but still the intermittend database disconnection problem persists! Any other clues?!

We had the same problem some weeks ago. The issue was a misconfiguration of network hardware and resources (nothing to do with Sybase ASE). I recomend you to first check with your network administrator.