Thread: Tape Size

Unanswered: Tape Size

Hi,

I'm doing ontape -s -L 0 to disk, and I got an error that the backup was looking for another tape, I increased the tape size to 15GB.
    (the size of all my chunks put togeter is 13 GB)
    Do I need to bounce the engine for this setting to take effect, or does the informix read that value of TAPESIZE when it does the backup?

Is there a limit of how much data can be backed up to disk?

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Artem

Re: Tape Size

You don´t need to bring the instance down, informix reads this values when it does the backup. The limit of how much data you can backup to disk is the value of your tape size.

Thanks, that is what I thought ))

Wink Re: Tape Size

Actually, when you are doing a backup to disk and reach the value of your tape size, informix asks you to "change the tape", so you can rename your backup file, create another file with the name of the first and press "enter", and the backup will continue.
    So the tape file is not a real limit of the volume of data to be backed up, it just determines the file size.

Hi,

Just a quick note: if your system is Win2000/2003, and you're using a USB drive as the tape destination, it has a 4GB/file limit. So it will ask for the second/third tape anyway.

And another quick note: on 9.40 you can specify 0 as tapesize and the system will use as much space as it needs (up to the free disk space or file size limitations)