Question Unanswered: 3rd party tools for auditing selects in DB2 UDB?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone knows of any 3rd party tools available for DB2 UDB 7.2 or higher that would allow auditing of select statements. If you do, I would appreciate if you could share your experience with me.

Since our databases hold protected information, we need to know who has had access to what information. While we could access the information through stored procedures and process our auditing this way, it does restrict our usage of certain reporting tools especially if we want to retain the capability of having ad-hoc reports.

I hope I'm providing enough information for someone to help...it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Bruno

Talking

What OS are you on?

Visit www.bmc.com and choose Product List and then choose "Database Administration for DB2"

Is that what you want?

OR use the inbuilt db2audit tool

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Question More than meets the eye!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

The operating system on which DB2 UDB will be installed is HP-Unix.

I looked at the web site proposed and found that this is not what I'm looking for.

Let's say the following command is given:

SELECT * FROM TABLE

The auditing tool must be capable of recording, in a separate audit table, every row which were accessed from the table along with the User ID of the person who viewed the data.

I don't have any experience with the audit tools that come with DB2 but from what I read, I think it would record that a certain user has performed the command SELECT * FROM TABLE. What we need to know is which rows resulted from this command since SELECT * FROM TABLE can be very different from one time to another depending on the dynamics of the data.

Hope I drew a clearer picture of what I'm looking for...and its complexity!

Thanks!

Bruno
    Last edited by brunod; 06-14-04 at 16:38.