Question Unanswered: XP Prof, install of 9i stops at Disk2

Hi, saw some similar Q’s online but nothing they said applied/worked so here goes…

Downloaded the 3 Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1) files from OTN and unzipped to “F:\Disk1”, “F:\Disk2”, & “F:\Disk3”. Have run setup process numerous times. When installer asks for Disk2 location, it appends a slash (“\”) to whatever I enter/browse (e.g. “F:\Disk2”). Unfortunately, the component name starts with a slash (e.g. “/component/whatever.xxx”). The result, “F:\Disk2\/component/whatever.xxx” obviously doesn’t work and the install has to be aborted. Any ideas?

I am using Windows XP 2002 SP1 with all critical patches installed. The PC has 384MB RAM and a Pentium 4 @ 1.4GHz. I have seen the commentary re XP vs W2K but am unfortunately past that decision point on this unit. I might be able to go with a newer Oracle version if that would help???

If I have to re-re-re-install Oracle, is there a way to start at “Disk2” to save some time?

Thanks,
    C\\\

Hi,

I have no personal experience of your problem, but if I were on a Win2K machine I would be tempted to try (from a cmd shell)....

subst h: f:\disk1
    subst i: f:\disk2
    subst j: f:\disk3

Then when asked for disk 1, 2, 3 etc just give the drive letter (as if it were a removable disk, there will be no / appended).

I don't know if subst is available under XP, or whether a mapped drive letter would also work, you can experiment if required.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Verify that path specified in oraparam.ini exists (this is a sample content):

[Oracle]
    DISTRIBUTION=TRUE
    SOURCE=../../stage/products.jar
    LICENSE_LOCATION=
    JRE_LOCATION=../../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.3.1.0.0/1/DataFiles/Expanded
    OUI_LOCATION=../../stage/Components/oracle.swd.oui/2.2.0.12.0/1/DataFiles/Expanded
    JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=" -mx500m"
    DEFAULT_HOME_LOCATION=
    DEFAULT_HOME_NAME=OUIHome
    NO_BROWSE=/net
    BOOTSTRAP_SIZE=55
    NLS_ENABLED=TRUE
    BOOTSTRAP=TRUE
    OUI_VERSION=2.2.0.11.0

[IMAGES]
    FILE1=images/o9i_1.gif
    FILE2=images/o9i_2.gif
    FILE3=images/o9i_3.gif
    FILE4=images/o9i_4.gif
    FILE5=images/o9i_5.gif
    FILE6=images/o9i_6.gif
    FILE7=images/o9i_7.gif
    FILE8=images/o9i_8.gif

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

Hi Bill & clio_usa, thanks to both of you.

As per clio_usa's message, I confirmed that all paths exist in (original, unmodified) oraparam.ini *** relative to that file ***. I assume I do not need to switch dirs to location of oraparam.ini file to run setup? Installer is finding products, images, etc.

I also tried Bill's subst idea - command appears to work fine in XP. I used "subst X: F:\Disk2". However the Oracle installer still appended a slash, i.e. turned my "X:" entry into "X:\".

Good ideas though. Have any more?!?

Thanks,
    Charles

P.S. --- A Techie Tidbit --- As per another thread, I tried running setup.exe in XP's "compatibility mode". When I tried Win95 compatibility (as per thread), I got an XP error screen saying "javaw.exe has encountered a problem". I was able to bypass this by running the autorun.exe, ultimately repeating my primary error described earlier. When I tried W2K compatibility, I got an installer error after selecting the product indicating my PC didn't meet the requirements because I didn't have SP1 installed. Presumably, the compatibility routine indicates only W2K, and Oracle installer wants something a bit more refined. I have not been able to get past this one. Not looking for an answer on these, just thought some folks might find it interesting. C\\\