Thread: Which DB ?

Question Unanswered: Which DB ?

what DBMS do you think its best for local system ?

i know Access but I heard its kind of slow on DB that has 1k elements, So what do you suggest ?

thank you for your time.

Try the free SQL Server named MSDE from microsoft. You get the power and speed of the full SQL server but are limited to 25 similtaneous users.
    http://www.scirocco.ca/images/banner...occobanner.gif

Download for FREE the ADO/DAO Data Controls that makes life EASIER developing database applications in: VB, FoxPro, Access, VC++, .NET etc... Navigate, Add New, Delete, Update, Search, Undo and Save your changes. Supports Disconnected Recordsets and Transactions!

Or try our Ask An Expert service to answer any of your questions!

Well...

but are limited to 25 similtaneous users.
    MSDE allows unlimited simultaneous users. However, it does employ throughput throttling when the number of concurrent users is more than 8. The additional users aren't rejected; their queries just run "slower."

Ref http://techperformanceadvisor.com/doc/09585

The workaround for this limitation is to utilize batch type processing, and to have the users connect, run their queries, and disconnect. Although you'll have some additional time required to actually connect/disconnect from the server, the performance hit is relatively small. When you think about it, this type opf approach actually makes a lot of sense anyway. Most users pull data, then spend minutes or hours perusing it, before actually needing to access the database again.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

I still can't find a perfect db for my application

i think sql server is not for local system, its for server application ( remote system).

MSDE will SUPPORT network access, but it's not required. It works just FINE as a single user service.
    Last edited by loquin; 07-19-04 at 17:01.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert