Unhappy Unanswered: Urgent - Problem due to Virtual Dimesions or??

Hi,

I am using dimensions: Product, Customer, Customer Geogrpahy (This is a virtual Dimension).The DDLs are posted below in case they might help....

The problem that I am running into is that when I see the "ALL" Sales or Zone Level sales, I get the correct results. However, when I go to State or County level, I get different results. This is driving me nutes and have already spend good 48 hours at least but am unable to solve this

1) Could this problem be caused due to use of Virtual Dimensions?

2) Is it better to use SnowFlake Schema based dimension instead? ( Though these are not shown in the DDLs but I also have the fields for ZoneCode, StateCode, CountyCode, & CityCode and can link them with my Geography table/dimesion --- If that's what it will take to solve the problem)

3) Some where in the Wizard steps, there is an option for "Uniqueness". Exactly what is this option and can this solve my problem.

DDLs:-------

CREATE TABLE [tblCustomers] (
    [CustCode] [varchar] (20) ,
    [CustName] [varchar] (64),
    [CustZone] [char] (10),
    [CustState] [varchar] (64),
    [CustCounty] [varchar] (64),
    [CustCity] [varchar] (64),
    )

CREATE TABLE [tblSalesFACT] (
    [SaleDate] datetime,
    [CustCode] varchar (20),
    [ProdCode] varchar (20),
    [SaleAmount] DECIMAL (12,2),
    [ProdQty] INTEGER
    )

CREATE TABLE [tblProducts] (
    [ProdCode] [varchar] (20),
    [ProdName] [varchar] (50) ,
    [ProdFamily] [varchar] (20) ,
    )

I'll be gratefull for your help. Many thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    Can you explain "different" in more detail? Does that mean the cells return different results than a vector (which I would expect), that the sum of the cells in a vector doesn't equal the vector, or something completely different?

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Can you explain "different" in more detail? Does that mean the cells return different results than a vector (which I would expect), that the sum of the cells in a vector doesn't equal the vector, or something completely different?

-PatP
    Hi Pat,

Can you kindly re-phrase your question. I'm not clear what you mean by "vector" (sorry if this sounds silly).

Till then, let me try to add more details regarding the "different" part:

When I see the sales at the Zone level I get the correct total sales for each zone. However when I drill down to State Level (or even further to Territory) level, the Total Sales figure is correct but the breakup for each State (or Territory; if I am at the Territory Level) is not correct. I hope this clarifies?

Please let me know if you would like me to add more details.

Thanks.

what means different ?
    You shuld have different results

sum of SaleAmount in all states gives you different results than SaleAmount in "ALL" states ?????

Hi,

Maybe I have not been able to explain clearly:

Suppose Total Sales = $ 100

At Zone Level, if I add the total sales for all zones, it DOES add up to $ 100. So that's fine.

At State Level, if I add the total sales for all States, it also add up to $ 100. BUT the breakup for each state is wrong. I am saying this after thoroughly checking the underlying data repository (data in SQL server).

And similarly, at County Level, the total sales for all counties does add up to $ 100 but here too the breakup for each state is wrong.

I hope this further clarifies the situation?