Unanswered: dump without backup server working

I'd like to dump a database but the BS doesn't start.
    Is it possible to copy the datadevices to another database on another Adaptive server and BS and execute the dump ?

The physical server, where the database is, is gonna go down soon (the RAID is almost dead).

The other solution that's in my mind is to reinstall Sybase on the existing one, and see if the BS starts then.

I don't know how long the server is gonna hold on before I lose the data.

thanks for your help.
    Last edited by elitol; 06-18-04 at 05:20.

The answer to your question is yes, it's possible, but not trival and not for the faint hearted. When you do this ASE must be shutdown prior to starting the copy.

There are risks here because you'll be doing unsupported stuff and hacking the system tables.

You don't mention whether the devices are file system or raw partitions. This affects how difficult the process is likely to be.

It's probably worth trying to work why BS doesn't start becuase that is probably easier to fix than attempt a copy of Sybase devices from one server to another, particularly if they are raw partitions.

Another alternative would be to configure the other server as a remote backup server.. Use your current server and dump to the remote server.

eg:

dump database pubs2
    to "dump_device" at OTHER_BS

Just a thought..

You need your local SYB_BACKUP working to make use of the "at" command to make remote dumps.

backup server is the easiest to fix. You need to look in just 3 places
    --> interfaces file,
    --> master..sysservers entry
    --> RUN file

So it can be things like;
    Physname does not match with interfaces
    Listener cannot be opened.
    etc...

So if you want to create a new backup server, just remove entries from those 3 places as before and install a new one using srvbuildres