Thread: Odbc

Unanswered: Odbc

We are using Oracle as the DB for our Financial System. As an additional report-writing tool, we use MS Access that connects to Oracle thru ODBC. My question is, where is the actual retrieving, extracting & manipulating of data done? Is it on the user's workstation or on the server?

If you are using Access ... It is probably pulling the data across the wire and changing it on the local machine ... I know that if you do queries in Access
    and have condition statements, the entire result set is set across and "conditioned" out in the local machine ...

HTH
    Gregg

I thought that Access will send a SQL statement (based on the Query with several conditional parameters) and send it to the Oracle Server. Oracle will then return just the results of the query to MS Access. So, I thought wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by THizon
    We are using Oracle as the DB for our Financial System. As an additional report-writing tool, we use MS Access that connects to Oracle thru ODBC. My question is, where is the actual retrieving, extracting & manipulating of data done? Is it on the user's workstation or on the server?
    Hi,

It would depend on your setup...
    If you have linked tables and your query-ing them from there using regular querys the processing is mostlikely beeing done on the local machine.

If you are using pass-through querys, processing will be done on the server

Regards