Thread: Not again??!

Not again??!

Is the Yak Corral unavailable today? I can not seem to see anything in it. And I don't mean that there is nothing to the usual gratuitous posts we put up there. Can anyone else access it?

There are a lot of threads collapsing today. I find it humorous that a forum dedicated to discussing database issues is being overrun by database problems!

I've already sent an email to the admin alias. Maybe somebody will read that email and do something about the problems... Then again, their recent track record hasn't been stellar in that area.

-PatP

If a lot of threads are collapsing, then I am sure the admins will have their hands full. If it comes down to it, I am sure they will try to save all of the content in the major forums, but the Yak Corral can be cut off (sorry, Brett). I would probably do the same, if it were up to me. Still, it is pretty bad losing some of the references in the Yak Corral. If it comes back, someone may have to do an index of it, so you can find some of the funnier comments.

And as many problems as DBForums has had since the upgrade, I still have to say I like the format here better than say, SQLTeam (Sorry again, Brett). For the life of me, I can not remember what threads I contributed to over there. The dot on the folder may be hard to see, but at least it is there.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

I thought I heard something about 10 minutes ago... ;-)

Do you think the coral c aused the problem...

mySQL...pfft
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

No. As Pat said, there are a number of threads that are showing this behaviour. I see a bunch of them in the Oracle forum. And someone posted a question about it in the SQL Server forum, too. Who knows. Maybe it was a mass update that went wrong. Since the Yak Corral is such a large target, it has a better chance than normal of being hit with such problems. Maybe if the site admins posted some ddl..? ;-)

EDIT: Looks like Certus' sticky post in the Design forum got hit, too. That was a good thread, too.

So did my Warehouse thread...
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

boys, the answer is simple

we need to pick up and move to a new forum

i have spare bandwidth, and i'm on a Windows shared host

any suggestions?

please keep in mind i am so *not* a network or systems administrator

the software has to be 2 orders of magnitude easier to install than, say, apache, which i once wrestled with for a couple of days...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

That's a great idea Rudy, but I can't imagine that you've got that kind of spare bandwidth. Granted it would take a bit to work up a full head of steam,
    but right now this forum looks to be averaging something like 3 Gb inbound, and 25 Gb outbound daily, based on the counts of new postings and reads and
    a guess at average posting size.

While this might well be a viable idea, it probably isn't in the "spare bandwidth" category. You'd have to make an informed business decision about it. I'd
    expect that managing the site well would take at least 100 hours a month, so you'd really want to be sure that the business model was supportable.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, I just want to be sure that you've got your head on straight. This wouldn't be a spare time project if it worked out very well!

-PatP
    Last edited by Pat Phelan; 06-17-04 at 08:28.

OMG no!

what i meant was, a small forum for database and sql experts

by invitation only

there's no way i'd want to try to duplicate a generic
    database forum site for the general public

i was thinking of advanced topics, where experts could
    trade ideas, and of course a "general discussion" where we could just chill
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I'm all for it...but then when would we entain questions like

"How do I get the middle 500 rows out of my table?"

And who'd be invited?

What was the Gracho Marx line?

And as for this site....I'm glad it's here...but can't they get some admins?

I'd love to know what the problems they're having....
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

I believe the line was

"I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member."

Good ole Groucho.

I am holding out hope for this site, though. The admins will get ticked off at the probelm enough to find it. It is just a matter of time. Just think of how half of any of our scripts are born. You get sick and tired of hearing the same question, or searching for some information, or doing some task, and before you know it, a script is born.

The site is getting progressively further "out of whack". Nothing really critical has gone wrong yet, but without some attention I don't expect that it will function more than another ten days at most.

It is really too bad, because dbforums has built up a really good community, and that is what really makes a web site valuable. That community is what brings eyes, which bring questions with them, which lead to answers, which causes the community to grow. From a business perspective, that is what makes the web site valuable.

Oh well, I can always go back to the UseNet. I think if I do, I'm going to grow a new personna. Similar enough that those that know me will recognize me, but at least using a different name. I already attract too much attention as Pat Phelan to suit my tastes now.

-PatP