Thread: Memory Hungry

Unhappy Unanswered: Memory Hungry

i am currently face sql server memory usage problem. my application is too memory hungry. once we repeat process a report 2 - 3 time, server memory (physical memory) will use up to 100%. Any comment? Just FYI, currently we have 2 GB RAM and we are using Delphi + Ado.
    Actually when printing report, we just do a normal query by using AdoQuery to get a movement report. Is nothing special! and when analysis on sqlserv.exe in TaskManager, memory usage shoot up to 70000++. I just wonder whether we configure something wrongly?

Does the delphi app run on the same server as sql does? From what I read in your post, sounds like the delphi app has a memory leak or has a loop too much, but it's just a first guess.

what u mean is Delphi app run in same box with Sql server?
    if this, then the answer is no. what we notice is memory usage for sqlservr.exe in Task Manager is keep on increasing.

Provided Answers: 54
    SQL Server 2000 was designed by Microsoft to "play by the rules" for server based applications. It will acquire resources (memory, cpu, etc) as it needs them, and will generally not relinquish those resources until it senses "pressure" from other processes also wanting the same class of resource.

If you don't have any other services (such as Exchange, IIS, etc) running on the same machine as your SQL Server, it is unlikely that SQL will spontaneously decide to release any resource it has ever used, although if another process puts "pressure" on the resource, SQL will generally cooperate if it can.

-PatP

If you want to configure a maximum amount of memory for your sql server instance to use, try sp_configure...

Cheers