I've currently been using the "Gather Stale" option of DBMS_STATS to analyze a schema on a production 9.2.0.4 database. We run this job weekly and usually no more than a handful of tables have needed analyzed so this works well for our level of activity.

We recently added some IOTs that also have overflow areas that are all part of this same schema. Now the job blows off with the following set of errors:

SQL> exec dbms_stats.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS('SCHEMA',10,FALSE,N ULL,8,'DEFAULT',TRUE,NULL,NULL,'GATHER STALE');
BEGIN dbms_stats.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS('SCHEMA',10,FALSE,N ULL,8,'DEFAULT',TRUE,NULL,NULL,'GATHER STALE'); END;

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-25191: cannot reference overflow table of an index-organized table
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 9375
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 9846
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 10046
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 10095
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 10072
ORA-06512: at line 1

I've researched this problem on MetaLink and found that this does seem to be a bug, but I'm not sure how to work around it. Oracle seems to say that this is just an informational error, but if the job hasn't processed through all of the tables and it hits one of these IOT overflows, it DOES stop processing.

The only thing I can think of at this point is to generate a list of tables/indexes in the schema that are not IOT related and then just run stats directly on those, but this takes away the 'gather stale' capability.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?