Unanswered: Updating Users Version of a Database

Hi all,

I recently inherited multiple databases for a research study. These databases use an Access front end with the tables stored on SQL Server. Currently, there is a folder for each database on a network drive. I make changes to the front ends (forms, reports etc.) in a development version of the dbs, test them, have a user test them, then import them to the production front end.

Each user has a copy of the front end on thier 'C:' drive. The previous developer put together a separate VB app that copies the changed mdb files from the network drive to their 'C:' drive. This doesn't seem like the best solution to me but I haven't come up with a better one. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Monk
    Monk
    The person who confesses ignorance shows it once; the person who conceals it shows it many times.

Provided Answers: 8
    I have a Batch file in the startup folder that copies the file form server to user pc when they start there computer each day. so the updates are only a day old and the user don't have to remeber to do it LOL
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Interesting...

OK, so when a user logs on in the morning, any updates are copied over? I like the idea, but it still doesn't feel right.
    Monk
    The person who confesses ignorance shows it once; the person who conceals it shows it many times.

I have to second myle's suggestion with a slight change. I used to to it the way your previous developer did it and it was a pain to make sure everyone got out so I could update everyone.

Write a short VB app that the user launches instead of the MDB. The app checks for a new version on a shared drive. If there is a newer version, copy it then launch the MDB.

This way you don't have to worry about when the user re-starts his computer - You just have to tell everyone to re-start at their own pace (depending on what changes you made of course.)

- Brad

Great Ideas! Thanks Myle and Brad for your help. Now, all I have to do is get a liscense for Visual Studio!
    Monk