Unhappy Unanswered: mysql newb question (easy)

I'm a newb to mysql, just installed it a few days ago and I just can't seem to login correctly. to get privileges.

when i open up
    c:/mysql/bin/mysql.exe
    the current user is "ODBC@localhost" and i have no privilege to use the "mysql" database

however when i go to
    run : cmd : and type in "c:/mysql/bin/mysql -u root"
    the current user is "root@localhost" and i do have permission to use the mysql database.

how can i have it so that when i open c:/mysql/bin/mysql to have permissions?

I know it has something to do with GRANT but i haven't been able to get it right.

or how can i have it so that when i go to c:/mysql/bin/mysql
    just have the root@localhost open automatically instead of
    "ODBC@localhost"

what the hell is ODBC@localhost anyway?

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON database.* TO user@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password'

where database.* is whatever your db is called, *.* does everything.

make sure user@localhost is not in quotes. Most likely there is no password, and you can skip everything after the user@localhost.

Oh, and the odbc@locahost must be your default user, usually I've just seen it as '@localhost' or something like that.

Hope this helps.

"GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO user@localhost"
    i type that exact phrase and it return a line with "->"
    and i have no idea what to type

i just closed it again and fired up under user@localhost and my i got error 1044 saying access denied to "use mysql;"

can anyone else help this is frustrating, i've been on mysql.com all day learning but still no progress

learned a bunch of other stuff though

the -> line means that it is waiting for more SQL query or it's waiting for the terminal character ';'

put a ; at the end of that and it should work

Also, when you log into mysql, do the mysql -u root and enter no password, that should be the default.

thanks for the tip,

is there anyway i can have it so when i double click on the mysql.exe it automatically login's to root

instead of having to go to run and typing in
    c:/mysql/bin/mysql -u root