Cool Unanswered: Protect My Excel File from Beeing Copied

Hi
    Is There, Is There A Way To Protect My Excel File From Beeing Copied To An Unauthorised Computer
    Thank You

Short answer is no - from Excel's resources. All of Excel's protection is rudimentary, and copying data from a locked/protected sheet can always be copied.

If you want to prevent someone from opening the spreadsheet, that can be done, and provides more protection (but they won't see the spreadsheet, either) than just locking the spreadsheet.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Actually, the answer is yes. You can assign persmisions to the NT folder the file is in.

I Know three ways of making this more difficult for someone

Using the Before RightClick Event
    Setting Cancel to True (This Disallows the Context Menu to Pop Up)

You Could set the toolbars to be disabled
    Code:
       For Each cmd In Application.CommandBars
                cmd.Enabled = False
        Next cmd
    Set this in the Workbook Activate (Remeber to Enable some After the Workbook is deactivated)

you then need to stop people who know the Keyboard copy command

with the Application.onKey "^c" , "Procedurename" you can stop the control + C copy Method again remember to switch this off before you leave the workbook

you can also stop saving from file by using the
    Workbook_BeforeSave Event

all these make saving and copying data more of a problem and will stop most people from copying or saving, but if you know what you are doing there are easy ways to crack the security in Excel and these procedures will not protect you against that.

Hope This Helps

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCoutts

all these make saving and copying data more of a problem and will stop most people from copying or saving, but if you know what you are doing there are easy ways to crack the security in Excel and these procedures will not protect you against that.
    Yep, and that was my point in the original post. But for 98% of users of Excel, these would be more than sufficient.
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

Hi Shades,

I thought i was had to reiterate your point because i felt it was the most important point, but some security measures is better than none at all although all i suggested was to stop someone copying data or saving from within Excel itself which is definatley not a complete soloution, even with these measures in place it is still easy to get the data out.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCoutts
    Hi Shades,

I thought i was had to reiterate your point because i felt it was the most important point, but some security measures is better than none at all although all i suggested was to stop someone copying data or saving from within Excel itself which is definatley not a complete soloution, even with these measures in place it is still easy to get the data out.
    By all means. You were more thorough than I, which is good. I think we can't emphasize enough that "protection" in Excel is a relative thing. We fool ourselves if we think we can prevent true intrustion into an Excel file. But your laying out of the methods to foil the would-be transgressor is extremely valuable.
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

Here's what I did

Quote Originally Posted by wahoud View Post
    Hi
    Is There, Is There A Way To Protect My Excel File From Beeing Copied To An Unauthorised Computer
    Thank You
    So I also think there's no way to completely secure it. However, lots of excel users have no clue what VBA is. So here's what I did, assuming that they don't know a lot about VBA.

Open up the VBA window (ALT + F11). Go to the page you want to protect from copying (For all, you'll have to repeat this process for all your pages). There in the menu at the left down part of the VBA window, you can choose wether or not the user can select cells ONLY when the page is protected.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	excel.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	16373
    (I've noticed that there's a checkbox that comes up when you click the secure button but the check for not selecting cells doesn't work apparently).

I don't know if it's possible to disable the hotkey for VBA (if it is, that would be an extra security for making it more difficult).

However, also this is not fail-proof. But combining all of the methods might make it difficult for one to copy and stuff.

Provided Answers: 6
    Turn it into a PDF