Unanswered: System Databases

I want to split the data and log files of the system databases to separate hard disks. How can i accomplish this and is this a good idea to do so ?

Hi,

Yeah its a good idea, you will get improved performance and it will keep the log safe if the disk on which the data files are on goes down

Use sp_attachdb and detachdb stored procedures to do this.

Hope this helps.

You really shouldn't give people advice if you don't know what you are talking about. This could cause HUGE problems. To move the system databases (which is a good idea), you need to follow the directions in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;224071

Pay particular attention to the part about moving msdb and model at the same time. These directions must be followed exactly if you don't want to end up reinstalling SQL Server, hacking the registry, or some other fun stuff to get it back.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Quote Originally Posted by derrickleggett
    You really shouldn't give people advice if you don't know what you are talking about. This could cause HUGE problems. To move the system databases (which is a good idea), you need to follow the directions in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;224071

Pay particular attention to the part about moving msdb and model at the same time. These directions must be followed exactly if you don't want to end up reinstalling SQL Server, hacking the registry, or some other fun stuff to get it back.

Whack!

2 Minutes in the box.....slashing....with intent to injure...add on another 5...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Sorry. How many times have we been down this road though Brett. I guess I could have phrased it a little nicer. lol
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.