Unanswered: Newline characters in Oracle

Hi,

I have a problem with the newlines characters stored in the database fields.

I need to print out all the database values into a text file separated by pipelines between columns. (e.g. col1|col2|col3|col4|col5). However, for column 4 which is a columm that stores user remarks always contains newline characters. Thus when I print the values out into the text file there will always a break in rows.
    (e.g. col1|col2|col3|col
    4|col5)

This will pose a problem here when I wanna to load the text file of values into another application database using SQLloader.

Is there anyway to replace newline characters (as well as tab characters) with a space character ?

(P.S: My database is Oracle 9i. I use sqlplus spool function to print values into the spool file.)

THANKS in advance to whoever tat can provide me help.

Replace(String, Search_String, Replacement_String)

So in your example

Select Replace(col4,chr(10),'')
    From Table
    Where .....

will replace the ascii character 10 (carriage return) with nothing. If you would like to replace with a singe space use ,' ' instead of ''

HIH

Hi Carlos,

THANKS !!!

After I apply the Replace method, most of the string did not break in the text file. However, there are still some lines still stubbornly breaks.

Is there any other ASCII characters to detect ?

check for chr(13) which is ascii code for carriage return.

skg

Yay!

dbforums has saved my life again! Thanks for asking the right question and providing the right answer!