Thread: DB size

Unanswered: DB size

I am writing a report for college...And I can't figure it out sth...

The problem is:

I would like to estimate how big a database will be or it is...

lets say that DB has only 1 table with 3 fields...without primary keys and indexes

ref text 20
    num number long integer
    choice yes/no

Now, the Microsoft documentation about Access 2000 says, that every charchter in text field takes two bytes (if not UNICODE compressed), Long integer takes 4 bytes and boolean takes 1 byte. If I sum all it takes 45bytes per record. Let say that I have 100 records...the TAble should be 4500bytes big.

But this is not true if I check the file size. When I am changing sth in the record i offen get an 4096 bytes increase...This is exactly 2 times of the maximum length of the record.

Could sb tell what is behind the DB growth when consideing appending new records?

Thx in advance!

Martin
    Back to the basics...

I don't know the answer to your question, but a bit of experimenting should give you your answers. Out of curiousity, why is this important? If you are concerned with db size then you are running your desktop/server too close to the limit. I recommend to my customers that at least 1/3 of the desktop/server drive/drives should be empty. This usually leaves plenty of space for work files. Based on today's drive sizes of 20-30gb (desktop)minimum, and 18gb scsi (server) any Access db that reaches a size worth worrying about is too big for Access.
    Just my 2 cents
    Winston

Have you tried a compact and repair to see if the sizing u are using becomes more accurate.

Also I think you havent added the db file itself into the equation.

Hope this helps,
    JS
    Have you ever thought about thinking on purpose?

Jarvis Stubblefield
    Patriot Designs
    Web/Database Development and Consulting
    The-Patriot.net by Patriot Designs

Only theory

I have a DB (PriceList). It was 128MB big. After compacting and repairing was 78MB. I don't have no major problem with it anymore. But for my report I wanted to analyze how big the raw data is (without indexes, primary key, relations,...). So i started the calculation and I didn't get a proper result...

I wanted to estimate how much bigger the database is when you apply replication on it. So I started to calculate fields in bytes and number of record and number of replications fields and number of records. And I was close to my result (71MB+indexes and additonal replications tables ). But then I made clean DB without replications (aditional fields and tables) and I got 19MB big DB and with applying indexes I got 25MB. And I was confused...(still am actually because this is much less then I calculated. raw data should be arround 40MB...

Nevermind.

Is there anybody who could tell how could I estimate the size of the DB if I got the stucture of a DB?
    Back to the basics...