Unanswered: Need Help in Paradox

Hi,

I am working in one Delhpi Application which is connecting to Paradox Db tables. I have to modify the Field data type of two tables from NUMBER to ALPHA . When I tried tomodify it in Database Explorer I am not able to do it. Can you guys help me how to do this.

Thanks
    Kiran

Using Wrong Tool

Go into tools from the menu and select database Destop. Then from the menu select tools and utilities. Select Restructure and open the data table you need to modify and change it there.

Be VERY wary!

By modifying a field type you could both lose data already present in the field (yes, also in converting from number to alpha, suppose you have a number which is too long for the alpha field you've created...) and disrupt totally the app, if you don't have access to full source of the app and know exactly how to propagate the change in the whole source code...

Bye!
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

Yes indeedy!

Take Shore's comments to heart. I assumed you understood the ramifications of what you were about to do. Also unless the field was populated by integers this is a one way trip in that you will lose precision if you try to convert back. That said, it is a simple task and one which is done for various reasons all the time ( for instance the output of an insturment is generally a number unless it is out of range then it gives you an alphanumeric code which would be lost in a numeric field. Or you have data which has been entered as a number (social security or Phone for instance) but for which you would like to format as text and use string functions to parse. These things can be handled in Delphi via casting or conversion functions if they are temporary data handling needs but it is sometimes simpler to convert the fields and keeping it simple is a laudable goal.

Lonnie