Unanswered: Oracle 8.1.7.4 and Oracle 9.2.0 on same server

We have an instance of oracle 8.1.7.4 running on a server, can we install another instance of oracle 9.2.0 on the same server?

We will eventually remove the oracle 8.1.7.4 later.
    Are there any known issues with two diff version existing on the same server.

Thanks
    Reema

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Yes.
    On one system I have V7.3.4.5, V9.0.1.4 & V9.2.0.5 databases & multiple instances of each version.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

actaully,oracle is a very RAM consumes,lol.unless u have huge RAM for use.

We've had 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.X running on the same servers for a while now and I',m not aware of any problems with that specific mix. That being said, we did upgrade to the version 9 network software (listeners, agents, etc.) which should ensure backwards compatability with the 8.1.7 databases.

If you do get concerned about RAM usage, you can add PRE_PAGE_SGA=YES to your init.ora (or spfile). Oracle will, on startup, pre-allocate it's maximum specified RAM for that instance.

There are a few small performance implications with this setting (particularly when making lots of short term connections) but it is useful for checking the actual RAM usage against what you think you have specified.

Also, that setting doesn't include the listener etc, only the database. On a DEDICATED server, you can also incur fairly substantial connection overheads in addition to the instance usage.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Quote Originally Posted by reemagupta
    We have an instance of oracle 8.1.7.4 running on a server, can we install another instance of oracle 9.2.0 on the same server?

We will eventually remove the oracle 8.1.7.4 later.
    Are there any known issues with two diff version existing on the same server.

Thanks
    Reema
    There is no problem with this at all. You can have as many different Oracle versions as you want, if:

- install each version in a separate ORACLE_HOME
    - have enough physical RAM to fit all the db instances
    - use the highest version Oracle listener for the rest of the lower version instances

On test E6500 SPARC, I have 8.0.6, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 9.0.1 and 9.2.0 all together. Thanks God (or better my CTO) for getting 10Gb RAM and 10 CPUs on the box....

HTH,

clio_usa - 8/8i/9i OCP DBA