Unanswered: Name Matching Challenge

I have two sets of company names (IBM and IBM, Inc.) which I need to match. One set is in an MSAccess table entitled 'WIP' with a field name 'MASTER_COMPANY_NAME' and the second set is in an MSAccess table entitled 'CORP' with a field name 'COMPANY'.

I am looking for a reasonably simple way to match them -- perhaps scoring each match.

I can work with a bit VBA but i'm not a pro.

Help would be most appreciated.

Try doing an internet search for the rules behind something called "Soundex". Somewhere you will find the rules for matching names (or any alpha fields) by "sounds like" rather than actual text. You can then program the rules in vba and get a fairly good match. I believe that SQL Server has a built in function to do this, but not Access.
    good luck
    Winston

For what it's worth, The Access Cookbook, 2nd Edition from O'Reilly comes with an example query that performs Soundex comparisons if you can spare the cash and want to save yourself some time, it may help.

It's also an awesome book to have around. Good luck.

I think it may be the best way to take care of your situation unless there are any more specific differences between the two columns. How many records are you talking about? Is this a one time conversion, or are you looking to join on these columns on a regular basis?

It's a one time conversion. Don't need to join on those columns going forward. Like to four buckets, Yes, probably yes, probably no and no.

WHat page is it on in the O'Rielly book?

It's on page 260 Recipe 6.3 Find All Records with Names That Sound Alike, but the VB code is included on the CD, unfortunately, I don't have the CD with me at the moment.