Unanswered: Paradox 9 multiple choice via checkboxes?

Is there a way to get p9 to:

1. Allow the user of a database to use the mouse to check one of 4 or 5
    variables by clicking on a checkbox or dot box...then
    2. Repeat that process until all variables presented by each question are
    selected (kinda like an on-screen questionnaire)
    3. Get p9 to dump the selected items into a word perfect merge document

????

Yes, you simply change the field type on the form to radio button and add the potential answers to the acceptable values (use the Define Values button on the properties screen for the field). This gives a list of possible choices from which the user can choose. This can also be done programmatically if necessary by changing the the list value for the field as needed.

Once the user is done, you can export their results to a predetermined table name and location. Then use that table as a datasource in WordPerfect. Make a WordPerfect Marco that uses the datasoure to produce the document you want. If WP accepts macro names on the command line, you can call it using execute(); otherwise you may have to launch it manually or dive into DDE.

Paradox buttons

Thanks ever so much for the instructions. If this works, you've just made my life a lot easier! I use Paradox interactively...but I don't do any programming. Don't know how....but I've gotten most of what I need to get done via interactive. I'm a pretty good tinkerer. Am familiar with wp macros, file handling, etc...so I should be able to get this done. If so, rather than spending hours dictating reports...I'll be able to just turn over the clicking duties to my secretary...which will get my reports turned in a lot faster.

Thanks again!

Dan

P.S. Never could get any substantive answers on WPUNIVERSE or TEK-TRICKS.

Quote Originally Posted by lmcke

lvy
    Yes, you simply change the field type on the form to radio button and add the potential answers to the acceptable values (use the Define Values button on the properties screen for the field). This gives a list of possible choices from which the user can choose. This can also be done programmatically if necessary by changing the the list value for the field as needed.

Once the user is done, you can export their results to a predetermined table name and location. Then use that table as a datasource in WordPerfect. Make a WordPerfect Marco that uses the datasoure to produce the document you want. If WP accepts macro names on the command line, you can call it using execute(); otherwise you may have to launch it manually or dive into DDE.

If you have problems, repost or email me and I'll get you through it. I designed a couple of proficiency exams in Paradox that use this technique (sans the WP stuff).

Getting closer to the checkbox thing...

I did some tinkering with the radio button thing...but struck out. I was able to add a field to the database, and get a drop down options box on a FORM, but p9 wouldn't let me select one of the options. Anyway...that's not what I need it to do. I need it to present me a list of options...and allow me to check each one I want (more than one option). So...back to the drawing board...and this time I was able to get p9 to give me some options with checkboxes...but once again...I wasn't allowed to select one..let alone more than one.

I've been using p9 as a flat file db...interactively. I've gotten fairly good at designing forms and reports....and using filters....but haven't gotten into queries, mutiple tables, or programming of any sort. This may not be a do-able project for me..but I'll tinker a little more with it and see what I come up with. At least it's turned on a few lightbulbs as to how data input could be simplified using boxes 'n buttons. Progress sometimes comes in small steps.

Quote Originally Posted by lmckelvy
    If you have problems, repost or email me and I'll get you through it. I designed a couple of proficiency exams in Paradox that use this technique (sans the WP stuff).

Radio buttons allow you to pick one value out of a set of possible values that go into one field. A checkbox allows you to select between two values for one field. If you want to do something where you can input more than a single response to a question, then you will have to do some programming.

Mac

Oh well...

Oh well..I guess this is where I get off the boat. I just don't have time to learn programming. I guess I'll just create a word perfect template, and delete options not used. Twas a nice hope ... even if it did keep me up to 1;30 a.m. tinkering last night. I'm too old for that anyway.

Thanks for the responses...

DAn

Quote Originally Posted by lmckelvy
    Radio buttons allow you to pick one value out of a set of possible values that go into one field. A checkbox allows you to select between two values for one field. If you want to do something where you can input more than a single response to a question, then you will have to do some programming.

Mac