Unanswered: Creating a graph/chart to show what I want it to!

Hi

I'm trying to create a chart that shows what percentage of the total sales a particular number of part has. However when I tried to use a pie chart etc. it just shows the part number and not the amount/percentage. Below is an example of the data I am using. The four-digit numbers are in text format in an attempt to make it work!

1422 0
    1430 50
    1523 0
    1524 4
    1528 23
    1529 0
    1530 0
    1531 0
    1626 7
    1627 13
    1629 32
    1630 8
    1718 0

I have attached an example of the pie chart it produces.

I would be grateful if anyone could help,

Thanks
    Becki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails piechart.jpg  
    Last edited by bekibutton; 06-23-04 at 11:08.

Hi Beki

You will have to sort the source data, Click on Series, Delete out the Part No series. In the Category Label put your series of part numbers, CLick OK
    Right Click and go to chart options, On the Data labels Tab chose the options you want.

Hope this helps
    David

Oooh, that works, thanks! V pretty pie chart now Is that something I should have known? I usually just select the data and let Excel get on with it. If you don't mind, could you explain to me why I've just done that and how it works?

Thanks (once again) for your help!

Beki

I don't know the proper answer to this but i will give it a go,
    When you created the chart initally you probably had your part numbers set up as numbers and that you converted them to text hit F11 or hit the chart wizard then let Excel finish it off by itself.

Now Excel hasn't detected anything but data when you created the chart and is creating the chart off of your first series.

It's good to learn how to use all of the chart wizard in excel as in a case like this when you need numbers to be your labels excel want's to put them in as data as in this case.
    It is also useful to learn how to chart from scratch in case you want to add more info to a chart like a target line against a bar chart etc.

Im not an expert on charting but i learned how to use the wizards when i had to.
    a bit garbled i know someone will probably explain things better than me
    David

Thanks for your help, David. I think I understand what you mean! I have another problem now though, that I've been puzzling over for a couple of days. I have a list of those four digit numbers and the amount of products that they are used in, from 1-6. Basically I want Excel to add up all the 1s. all the 2s etc and show them in a pie chart, to see which is the most popular number (1-6). Ideally I'd want it to show the four digit numbers as labels aswell. Am I asking too much? I know I could draw it by hand myself, but can Excel do that?

Thanks
    Becki

I would do it by summing the data i want in a new little table.

i.e. 1 to 6 in one column and using the SUMPRODUCT Formula in the other.
    or via a pivot table

David

Please excuse my igorance, but what does the SumProduct formula do, and why would I use it? I looked it up on the help thing but I'm not sure I understand!

To Much to describe quickly but in the case im suggesting you can use it as a clever SumIf Function

So say you have numbers 1 to 6 in Column A1:A1000 and you want Excel to sum all those numbers in Column B where the value in column A is equal to 6 you could use a SUMPRODUCT such as

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$1000 = 6)*($B$1:$B$1000))

to get the sum of all of the values, you can add more criteria to this if you want to Say in column C you had Months and you want to add the values in column B you could use this

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$1000 = 6)*($C$1:$C$1000= "Apr")*($B$1:$B$1000))

If you look about in this Forum SUMPRODUCT is disscused quote a lot

David