Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Oracle Management Server

I am getting the VTK-1000 error ("Unable to connect to the management...").

I DID install OMS through the Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant.

The OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service is not currently running. It is set to Manual start, but when I try to start it I get a message saying "The OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alert service."

Could I be using the wrong login and password? I created one login when I created the OMS repository, but another message box I saw told me to use sysman/oem_temp the first time. I've tried every login I can think of. What the hell...?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I would suggest going to a DOS/Command prompt and issue the command:

OEMCTL START OMS

You should get the Oracle error that is being reported. Also, check the files located in the $ORACLE_HOME\sysman\log directory. You should see something like oms.nohup there -- this file can be rather large at times, so I might suggest renaming the file, then execute the OEMCTL command above.... it will re-create the .nohup file.

Hope this helps!

JoeB

Thanks, JoeB.

I ran you command and got the following message(s):

"
    The OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service is starting.......
    The OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service could not be started.
    The service did not report an error.
    "

...which is interesting, because my service manager indicated that the service started and then stopped, while this says it could not start at all.

When I open the oms.nohup file I see a lot of lines stating:

"java.lang.NullPointerException: "

...and this line:

exception VxaInvalidStateException{wstring reason="VXA-3032 : Error in attempting to bind OMS Services over ORB. Shutting down oms";}

...and finally this:

VXA: Doing a shutdown and restart
    "Management server thrashing. Exiting oemctrl.bat"

Thrashing? That doesn't sound good. I've felt like thrashing software before, but I've never come across a case of self-flagelation.

Could I be missing a DLL or some other component?

blindman

Check windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts for the hostname and IP of the server you are using for the OMS, you may need to add an entry here to resolve a DNS problem.

The hosts file contains only one non-commented line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Both Oracle and OMS were installed on my local machine.

Are the NullPointerException errors in the oms.nohup file relevant? Are they the cause of the "Error in attempting to bind OMS Services over ORB.", or is that something else?

This is my first experience with Oracle, and its not making a good impression!

blindman

Let's backup here a minute. Are you running this on a server or some stand alone machine? That IP you listed is probably not going to work for the OMS, so you'll need the actual IP of the machine you're running this on:

Start->run->cmd (to get a command window)
    Then ping the machine name: "ping srv01" (where srv01 = the name of your machine).
    This will give you an IP that you should put into the windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file in the same format.

Comment out the localhost one and go with the new one:

# 127.0.0.1 localhost
    888.8.8.8 srv01

Now here's the rub. If this is a dynamically allocated IP from whereever your machine sits on your network, it might change if the machine is disconnected from the network or re-booted.

Also, when you finally do get the OMS running and log in to the management server, the OEM login window will ask for username, password and management server. For the 'management server' portion, I had to use the IP address specifically instead of the server name because for some reason, the software could not resolve the name alone, but worked fine with the IP.

YES!!!

Thank you so much for your help, dbatteiger!

If you ever need SQL Server or TSQL help, ping me on the SQL Server forums, 'cause I owe ya!

blindman