Question Unanswered: Moving from sybase to MS Sql server

Hi,

I want to move the database from sybase to sql server.I want to move the table structure in the first step then the data.
    Also can u tell how to generate SQL scripts in sybase.
    How cud the moving from sybase to sql server be acheived. What are the different options available to do this.
    It is urgent
    Any help is appreicated.
    Thanks in advance

The easiest way to do this is with DBArtisan; however, that's an expensive tool and if you're asking this question you probably don't have it. One method would be to get Ed Barlowe's suite of extended stored procedures for sybase (at http://www.edbarlow.com/), install them on your Sybase server and then use that to extract your DDL and stored procedures. You'll need to make some manual modifications to most SQL, but it should be fairly minor.

For copying your data the easiest method would be with BCP. Install Sybase Open Client and MS SQL's client libraries on the same machine. Rename Sybase's BCP to SYBCP or something like that so you know which BCP program you're running (since they will both be in your path; Sybase BCP won't talk to MS & vice versa). Then BCP out all your tables in character mode using SYBCP and after creating the tables in SQL Server, BCP them in using MS BCP. If your tables are very large it's recommended that you do this on the server where SQL server is running, so you don't need to use extra network bandwidth to BCP the data in.

Hi,

I tried that already but I am not able to run the configure command.I unzipped the file then it created the procs directory and according to the document it says after all this run the configure command in the procs directory. I did that and it says cannot identify this command as an internal or external command.
    Can u tell me how to run this configure command and why isnt it accepting that.
    I went to command prompt and went to that place where procs directory is present and there I typed configure and it says the above cannot recognise the command.
    Please help.
    I have to submit this by today evening or max by monday.I have tried all options.Is there any other way of moving the structure frm sybase to sql server apart from this way.
    Thanks