Unanswered: yyyy-mm-dd format probs

I know very little SQL and I am using phpMyAdmin to upload a text file to my database.

The text file contains dates in the format d/m/yy (so 1st feb would be 1/2/04 without any leading zeros). And it appears that they have to be in yyyy-mm-dd format in the database.

How can I upload this text file so the dates will insert correctly into the date fields?

Is there some SQL code that can do this? However I did try to use SQL before to upload my text file, but couldn't get it working, hence the reason I got phpMyAdmin.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

GGGGGgrrrrrrrr!!! Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!!! I have lost my long response to you 2x now because the system complained I was not logged in and then dumped my post.

In short to summarize, though... I had a similar problem HERE but it was the reverse. You may be able to use something like PHP's strtodate() function but I think you'd still have to use substr() to get the correct format.

If you are not a programmer, you can probably just use Word/Excel to split the dates into 3 columns, add preceding 0's and 19xx/20xx characters, rearrange columns to yyyymmdd order, and remove delimiters.

I hope this helps.
    --ST

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve T.
    GGGGGgrrrrrrrr!!! Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!!! I have lost my long response to you 2x now because the system complained I was not logged in and then dumped my post.
    dbforums.com has been getting "corn-fused" a bit lately. Just because I'm a paranoid soul, I copy my response to the clipboard before I submit it. That helps to keep my blood presure down.

-PatP