Thread: ftp problem

Unanswered: ftp problem

I have a critical problem where during the ftp transfer one of my files is being assigned the \n character at then end of each segment. If you were to vi the file you cannot see it but when you do the od -xc < filename> I can see that the \n is at the end of each segment.

What command during the ftp session can I use so it does not pass \n character along and or what command should I use to remove this prior to the ftp session. I have tried the sed 's/\012//'g or sed 's/012//'g on the file and it is not removing it . Do I have the right syntax??

ftp -inv <<EOF > $FLOG_OUT
    open $HOST
    user $ID $PSW
    prompt
    lcd $out
    mput [A-Z0-9]*
    bye
    EOF
    mvilla

It may be defaulting to ASCII transfer, use the 'BINARY' ftp command.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thumbs up ftp

Ok I took your suggestions and it worked! Wow!!!! What relief!!! Can you explain to me why?
    mvilla

ftp will transfer files in ASCII mode (text) and in some cases add a carriage return after each record (block), BINARY mode prevents ftp from doing any translation.
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb