Question Unanswered: IBM Informix Vs. MS SQL (Latest version)

I'm faced with a difficult decision and I've decided to try researching your brains on this forum.

We are about to convert our accounting system (12 yrs old) over to a new system. We are face with a fundamental issue of which database platform to use and our choices are SQL and IBM's Informix. I'm not a computer wiz by any stretch of the imagination so if someone knows what questions to ask, I will be able to provide you with all the details needed to make a sound decision on whether Informix is the better platform or not (I'm guessing it is).

Thanks in advance,

JPP

I'm surprise you haven't been flamed on this yet. IMHO you could argue the relative merits of either Informix or MSSQL or DB2 or Oracle for days but there's one thing that sets MSSQL apart from the rest - the supported OS platforms - in this case - only windows.

And one more thing, I don't recall that Informix, DB2 or Oracle have had viruses released targeting them. But of course, that will never happen again with MSSQL.....
    Fred Prose

vx & hacking oracle and informix

"And one more thing, I don't recall that Informix, DB2 or Oracle have had viruses released targeting them. But of course, that will never happen again with MSSQL..."

To be fair, if theres a web server into it, you can use sql injection on just about any informix or oracle database. In fact, in my experience (and I am an informix fan) our ifx developers are kind of lazy about writing with stuff like this in mind because they all assume that no one targets informix. The old security via obscurity mindset - total b.s. I know.

Also, theres entire websites devoted to hacking oracle - its not that nobody does it, but istead that you find such software in high dollar installations and not every 13 year old in the world has access to such big iron.