Question Table with many columns / some tables with some columns

Hi,

I'm planning the db-design for an online-game and ask myself, whether it is better to have one table with the player-id as key and very many data-fields or some tables each with only some data-fields.

Using MySQL:
    Does it need longer to get a result from a table with many columns even if I specify the columns I need?
    Does an update-query need longer?

Let's say there are 200 players online at one time, everybody sending one request per second and every request leads to data-manipulations in three tables / in one table with many columns:
    Can a normal web-server handle the higher number of queries resulting from the higher nunber of tables without a recognizable decrease of speed?

[I'm using PHP and the PEAR-DataObject-Abstraction.]

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: Changed "rows" to "columns" (-> I'm German ... sorry for that )
    Last edited by Dummkopf; 06-24-04 at 08:40.

Dummkopf... Ja, richtig! Sorry, but this kid ain't buying that one, but I like the joke! Now, on to your questions.

As a general rule you want to normalize data, meaning that you want more tables with fewer columns in each of them. You want to define a PK or Primary Key that will uniquely identify each row in your table, and make sure that every column in the table depends on that PK. If a column doesn't depend on the key, it belongs in another table.

In a transactional environment like a game, normalization becomes more important than ever. The smaller I/O size, and more discreet data help performance. The logical structure helps the developer know where to get/put data.

MySQL will deal with smaller rows faster than it will deal with larger ones. It will write them faster, and it will read them faster. As long as there are less than a few thousand tables, the normallized data will perform better in a transactional enviornment in nearly every case.

-PatP

Thansk for your post!

The data I mean does belong to the player-ID. But there are - let me lie - perhaps 200-300 columns.

I could split these columns in logical groups - but these groups would have the player-ID as key, too.

(ie:
    buildings:
    playerID
    houses
    houses_damage
    woodcutters
    woodcutters_damage
    etc.

ressourcen:
    playerID
    wood
    stone
    thaelium
    etc.

OR

playerdata:
    playerID
    houses
    houses_damage
    woodcutters
    woodcutters_damage
    wood
    stone
    thaelium
    etc.)

If I specify col1, col2 and col3 out of my huge table for a select-statement: Is this query (much) slower than against a table with less columns?

(I thought the row was found with the key-value - no matter how many columns there are ...)
    Last edited by Dummkopf; 06-24-04 at 08:47.

As a general rule, the smaller rows can be found/manipulated/managed faster. The PK does in fact allow the row to be found, but due to the way that database engines work, smaller rows are generally faster. When you update a 200 byte wide row, you only have to move/write 200 bytes of data. When you update a 10000 byte row, you have to manipulate all 10000 bytes. Database engines usually work in pages of data. The more free space per page, the less like an update is to "split" a page.

You best bet for getting a feel about how things will work is to try it. Set up a couple of scenarios, and try to do write/read/update cycles against them. See how they perform using your hardware and software. My guess is that more tables with fewer columns in each table will give you better overall performance, but you can test this so you don't have to take my opinion without trying it.

-PatP

I just wanted to know, whether there is a general rule to follow.

I understand that a big row needs longer to be updated, but the other way I have to update two or three rows in different tables.

I tried to group the data in a way that there is no need of complex joins etc., but I realized that it is just impossible.

I guess that three select and three update queries need longer than one select and one update query against a "big" row.

How much do joins slow the query? I could just join the small tables together depending on what I need in a certain situation.

Even with a dozen tables, MySQL should do fine. I know that you hit a limit with some of the database engines at around 70 tables, but even if MySQL only supported 10% of that it wouldn't be an issue.

As I said, you can easily test this when you get to the point that you need to know. Without testing, I'd bet on more tables with fewer columns in each every time.

-PatP