Question Unanswered: multiple records

Hi there...

I am new at sql programming and I need all the help i can possibly get..Im using SQL Server 2000 and I have been given an assignment which follows:

- i have to add 100 new records at once to an existing table.
    I have to do it through SQL Server only( query analizer,i suppose) and I am not allowed to use any other languages to achieve this. Now, my question is how can i do it through sql only? What is the code i have to write to make this thing work? I simply dont know where and how to start...

thanx in advance and sorry for my bad english

look up INSERT as Transact-SQL reference in BOL (Books Online, press SHIFT-F1 in the analyser).

Thanx, Ive already done that, but i didnt find it very useful in this case..

In which form do you have the data? In a flat file (pure text) or do you have to type it in?

Carsten

Hi CarstenK,

I have to type the data in.

In this case, I see two possibilites

1. Write an SQL-Statement like:
    INSERT INTO table_1 VALUES (Value1, Value2, ValueN)

2. Use SQL Server Enterprise Manager. Open the table and type the data in. (right mouse click on table_1 and select "Open Table > Return All Rows").

Carsten

OK, that would be a solution for inserting one record, right?Now , how do i insert 100 records at once?Cause thats the core of my problem..and its really driving me crazy!

bejbika

Provided Answers: 54
    Why does the teacher want you to insert 100 rows at once? Is there some point they are trying to make?

This can be done using just MS-SQL (using a union), but it is very poor design.

-PatP

Angry

When you go for way 1 you have to create an INSERT-statement for every record you want to insert.
    http://www.dbforums.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

Thanx everyone on your replies!

yeah, or create a temporary table inwhich you do the 100 inserts one by one and then do one insert selecting all the records from the temp. table into the final destination table