Thread: Access newbie

Unanswered: Access newbie

Hi guys,

My company just bought Access 2002 and have handed me the job of designing their database from the bottom up. While I'm ok with the entire relational aspect of the database, I've never used Access before, so I was hoping somebody could give me some advice.

Basically, we're constantly reviewing a whole bunch of documents for clients, and what these guys want is some sort of database that will alow them to know if a document has been rejected, is currently under review or has been approved, along with comments by whoever's dealing with it at each stage. Now I know that Access allows you to design forms but how customisable are these?

What I need to do is create a front end which allows these guys to look at the documents and see what their status is instantly, along with comments. Then, depending on what the status is, they can view additional information/options depending on whether the document was rejected, under review or approved. They also should be able to edit the entries to change the status to enter new fields as the document moves through our system. I'm thinking maybe subforms depending on what status has been set for the documents, but again I'm not sure what's possible in Access or exactly how to go about it.

Also, in their infinite wisdom, they would also like a search facility to allow them to search the database by criteria and then be able to view entries, to make things easier. Is this possible as my limited knowledge of Access seems to throw up only simple queries which then give me a datasheet with a few fields but not a filtered list of entries. Do I have to use Visual Basic or something if I want anything like that, because I don't mind learning it if I have to.

Any help or advice anybody can give me would be fantastic!!

Thanks a lot,

You can do this in Access. Depending on the number of users and the amount of data Access can be very slow. I would do something like SQL Server backend and use Access as a front end. This way most of the forms can be driven by SQL Stored Procedures and allow the Server to handle most of the work.

You can create forms to display the results of SQL statements or leave them in datasheet views. Forms are far more visually appealing.

The Bottom of The Barrel
    Provided Answers: 1
    I'm going to disagree, this doesn't really sound like a job for SQL server. It doesn't sound like there's going to be a lot of data being entered or changed all the time...

Anywho, yeah, access will most definately take care of your front end needs either way. The stuff you're describing is exactly what access was designed to do.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

It depends on the amount of data and the number of users. I just find SQL Server much better when you will be using a lot of data or a large number of users.