Talking Unanswered: Columnar viewing of thumbnails online

I've created a custom page using CDML (FMP 6) and can view images vertically, but I don't know how to re-tool the form to view the images 3 columns across and 5 rows down.

Is there a simple way to make this happen?

Hi, Taishi01!

Actually, it seems like a simple thing, but IMO it is difficult to get wrapping records in CDML only... If your image records are consistent and not the result of a search or something, you might be able to make a flag/marker field to indicate position and then add an IF to add a <BR> or something (table code?), e.g.

[FMP-if: position .eq. 3]<BR>[/FMP-if]

but I'm not sure how you would do this with a dynamic found set. CDML does not really have any variables or math functions so you can't really make a counter.

If you're feeling radical, you MIGHT be able to use 3 INLINE ACTIONS, each in a table column, each to show 5 records you specifiy, but it really depends on whether or not you are displaying these as a result of what you want to show a web visitor or if these are the results of a search or something.

Hope this helps!
    --ST

P.S. I see you have posted this elsewhere, too. Well, Garry Claridge is 10x the developer I am and I have seen him tell people how to do the multi-column thing before, so stick w/what he tells you.
    Last edited by Steve T.; 06-24-04 at 20:35.

Cool Thanks for the reply

Steve T,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try your suggestion and let you know if it worked for me or not.

Inline Actions

Steve T,

Just ready the message again, how would I perform the Inline Action? I know how to create a table in HTML not sure of the Inline Action though.

Would it be something along these lines?

[FMP-Action: Photo1]<BR> [FMP-Action: Photo2] <BR>[FMP-Action: Photo3]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve T.
    Hi, Taishi01!

Actually, it seems like a simple thing, but IMO it is difficult to get wrapping records in CDML only... If your image records are consistent and not the result of a search or something, you might be able to make a flag/marker field to indicate position and then add an IF to add a <BR> or something (table code?), e.g.

[FMP-if: position .eq. 3]<BR>[/FMP-if]

but I'm not sure how you would do this with a dynamic found set. CDML does not really have any variables or math functions so you can't really make a counter.

If you're feeling radical, you MIGHT be able to use 3 INLINE ACTIONS, each in a table column, each to show 5 records you specifiy, but it really depends on whether or not you are displaying these as a result of what you want to show a web visitor or if these are the results of a search or something.

Hope this helps!
    --ST

P.S. I see you have posted this elsewhere, too. Well, Garry Claridge is 10x the developer I am and I have seen him tell people how to do the multi-column thing before, so stick w/what he tells you.

Howdy! Actually, an INLINE ACTION lets you perform additional, independent actions on a -format page. In your case, it would be used in something like

(1) index.html
    - this is a splash page w/a redirect/refesh to
    http://www.yoursite.com/FMPro?-db=db....html&-findany
    - this step is necessary to query the FM db Web Companion; inlines can only follow some other FM action
    (2) main.html
    - this is where you could show 3 columns of photos in a 3 column, 1 row table with an INLINE ACTION in each one

I'm away from my workstation so don't have the CDML reference db handy to write sample code for you, but it'd look something like...

[FMP-inlineaction:-db=dbname, -lay=web, columntoshowfield=1]
    [FMP-record]
    [FMP-field: photo] <BR>
    [/FMP-record]
    [/FMP-inlineaction]

I don't think that's the right syntax but that's the logic. You would have that code in each of the 3 columns, except columnstoshowfield=2, =3. Whatever photos you want in column 1 would have to have "1" in that record's columntoshowfield, etc.
    --ST

Cool Columnar Viewing of Photos

Steve T,

Once again thanks for the help.

Had to modify the code you sent, got it to somewhat work.

Was able to get it to show me the Record ID in columnar fashion, but would like it to display the photo instead of the numbers. Also noticed it repeats the numbers in the columns.

Again, thanks for the help, almost feel like it's just about complete.

Here's what the code looks like presently:
    <HEAD>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
    <P><TABLE BORDER=1>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <P>[FMP-InlineAction: -db=Wallpapers.fp5, -lay=Wallpaper,-find]
    [FMP-record]
    [FMP-FIELD: Photo]<BR>
    [/FMP-record]

[/FMP-InlineAction]</P>
    </TD>
    <TD>
    [FMP-record]
    [/FMP-record]

[/FMP-InlineAction]</P>
    </TD>
    <TD>
    [FMP-record]
    [/FMP-record]

[/FMP-InlineAction]</P>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <P>Col.1</P>
    </TD>
    <TD>
    <P>Col.2</P>
    </TD>
    <TD>
    <P>Col.3</P>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

</P>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Thumbnail view

Steve T,

Got it to view the pictures in columnar fashion on the web, but for some reason they still repeat. Had to make sure to just do a -find not -findall.

Now, if I could just get it to show all the photos in a nonrepeating fashion, it'd be all good.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi, Taishi-01! I'm not sure, but I think you will want to specify some kind of field criteria in the -find. You know, like have a field in your db called "column" and then put either 1, 2, or 3 in that field for each photo. Then, in the inline action, specify column=1 in the first inline, column=2 in the second inline, and column=3 in the 3rd inline. Each inline is performing a different find... that way you end up with different search results (photos).

Columnar Viewing Online

Thanks Steve T. Will try it out and let you know the results. I'm so close I can feel it.