Thread: Recommendation

Question Unanswered: Recommendation

I was if anyone can recommend a book that specifically focuses on SQL statements such as Queries, Stored Procedures, Triggers, Transcations..etc

Provided Answers: 54
    Heavens yes! I'll bet that everybody can recommend something.

Oh wait, you were probably looking for a suggestion, not just whether I was capable... Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server 2000 in 21 Days by Richard Waymire. He knows more about the insides of SQL 2000 than probably any other single human being

I'll throw in my usual disclaimer: Richard is a friend of mine, but I make nothing from the sales of his book.

-PatP

ooookkk Pat

ROFLMAO...funny response pat. For those of you who are not DAOC or Everquest fans or Online Game fans for that matter ROFLMAO means Rolling on the Floor Laughing my ass off

just a little fyi

What's the point if you can't have some fun in the process ?!?!

-PatP

Some people think you're insulting them when you tell them to read that book. It's a really, really good book though if you're trying to learn TSQL. I also like the Guru's Guide series.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Quote Originally Posted by derrickleggett
    Some people think you're insulting them when you tell them to read that book. It's a really, really good book though if you're trying to learn TSQL. I also like the Guru's Guide series.
    If folks consider that an insult, they wanted something other than a serious recommendation.

Richard was the Manager that got C2 clearance for SQL 2000. He knows more about the product than anyone I know. He's a good teacher, and he explains things well. The Sam's editors watered down his material a bit, but not to the point of making it useless.

There might be a better book for someone getting started with SQL 2000, but I haven't found it yet.

-PatP

Me either. I really like the book. I tell all my developers about the book. Several have bought it.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

I like his books

I have one of his books alreadyn(Sams Teach yourself sql in 21 days) I didnt know he had a sql server 2000 book though. I will defintely get that book then I like his books they are easy reading, and they get down to the nuts and bolts and they are more related to what you will encounter while on the job.

And when you've read that cover to cover...starting tonight...you need to get this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Omg

Thats exactly the kind of Book I need Brett thats exactly what I've been looking for I'm buying it right now. Right along with Sams sql server. Thank you very much. Just what Ive been looking for.

One more question does anyone here have a SQL server Certification??

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    One more question does anyone here have a SQL server Certification??
    Many people think of me as certifiable, but not in the sense of SQL Server. I've never sat for one of the tests, although I've contributed questions for them.

-PatP

Actually, you might also think about Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Resource Kit if you are looking for more detailed information. The resource kit is just chock full of lovely little goodies, with a bunch of positively evil comments strewn through it that get you thinking "Gee, what if..." and lead to lots of sleep loss!

-PatP