Unanswered: Date/Time field problem

I am creating a timekeeping database that will be used to track time spent on a project. I have a form that allows a user to enter a date, select a project/task and enter the number of hours worked. The table that stores this information uses the date and project fields as the primary key.

How do I get the date field to not list or contain a time as part of the field. I only want one entry for a project/task per day. I set the Date/Time field to "short date", but that doesn't do it.

The form is in datasheet view (if this helps diagnose the problem.)

Thank you for your help,
    Grace

The extremely Royal borough of Kensington, London
    insert into tableA values (#mm/dd/yyyy#)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.JPG  
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.

The time still is part of the value???

I do insert that value, but it automatically attaches a time to the value, that is my problem. I do not want the time attached because it makes the primary key unique.

Hope this helps define the questions.

Thank you

you don't have a problem, you have a fact of life.

access' date-type ALWAYS has a time: if you set a date-type using just day, month, year you get and will always get a time 00:00:00 appended.

reason: the date-type is a double. before the decimal is days, after the decimal is fractions-of-a-day. 320 is 320 days, zero hours, zero minutes, zero seconds.

if you don't want to see the time-part, use format$() when you display.

izy

AFTERTHOUGHT ...and as long as you set up the date using just day, month, year, your unavoidable time will ALWAYS be 00:00:00 so all 21st of September's in 2004 will be identical
    Last edited by izyrider; 06-25-04 at 12:34.
    currently using SS 2008R2

Date/Time Field problem

Where are you saying to put the format$()? On the "Date" field properties somewhere? Are you saying that there's no way to have the date field just have a date value without a time? How can you then use it as a primary key where you only want to have one value entered per day?

yes, precisely, you CANNOT have a date-type that does not have a time.

but, you can guarantee that your date ALWAYS has a time of 00:00:00 thus preserving the uniqueness of your datetime.

use this to setup your dates... not only does it guarantee that all your dates will have time 00:00:00, but it may also be helpful if you play SQL games.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2