Unanswered: Moving mdb between computers

Hi there... I'm hoping someone has an idea for me. I work in a small office that uses some pretty old computer equipment. I've created an Access db to manage some data we have, and it's probably about 100Mb in size. I'd like to move it to another computer we just got, but the computer it's currently on has no network, no internet connection, and no CD-burner. I'm stuck with just a floppy drive. Obviously, I could get an external storage device of some sort, but is there a way to break down an .mdb into smaller pieces so that I could move it with floppies? I know it would probably be tedious, but a lot cheaper than buying external storage. Thanks for any help you can offer!

you can use winzip to create a zip file that spans several floppies

Just a though:

A basic network card is only about $6 to $10 - it would be more cost effective than the labor you would consume breaking up the mdb into small pieces.

If necessary, depending on how the "network" is setup, you may also need a hub (another $10) and some windows networking skills (MSDN offers quite a bit of help networking Windows).

Have fun!

Hi livehead16,

I agree, it is so cheap to get a network card and then just simply do Peer-To-Peer networking and move the file over that way, OR by a portable Zip drive. Not sure of where but have heard there are secure places on the web where you can store stuff too. Check into that, then you can Upload the entire database and then download into the other system. One other option that involves physical labor is take the harddrive with the database and install on the other computer as a slave, copy the database and then put it back. I do agree though that breaking your database apart enough to fit on a floppy might get you in deep trouble.

Those are the few options I know of.
    OH, and I heard about using a serial cable and attaching to both computers to transfer files. Slow but said it works.

Bud

if you have absolutely nothing else to do with your life you could write A code that would split any file (including .MDB, .MDE) into floppy-size chunks and save to floppies and reconstitute it. i did it about 15 years ago in the first VB release for the exercise (i didn't keep a copy - it was such a sad sad sad thing to do). check out writing to binary files in help for most of what you need if you plan to go this route

if you have a real life, try google with FILE SPLIT: freeware exists.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Early last year I had the same problem as you. The .mdb is 90mb when compacted and there are a few variations of it. When we upgraded to all new computers the old Zip drives we had were not compatable. I simply took one of tghe old Toshiba laptops to the local computer fellow and he charged me $80 to put it all on CD ROMs. He obviously networked the Toshiba to his computers.

Mike